Having the ability to teach English is a feeling that is hard to beat. English is essential in the national curriculum to promote high standards of literacy and language by providing students with a strong understanding of the spoken and written language.
At secondary level, you will teach students to write and speak fluently to enable them to communicate ideas and emotions effectively. The ability to read confidently allows students to acquire further knowledge and build on their existing knowledge.
These skills are also vital throughout everyday life, especially when it comes to contributing fully as a member of society.
When you teach English at secondary level, you will ensure that pupils:
- Construct a wide vocabulary and have sound knowledge of grammar and linguistic conventions for reading, writing and speaking
- Can read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- Are able to read widely and often, for both information and pleasure
- Can write clearly, coherently and accurately with the ability to adapt language and style for a range of purposes, contexts and audiences
- Discuss in order to learn and have the ability to elaborate and explain ideas
- Display competency in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate
Benefits of participating in an English teacher training course with us:
- You will receive ongoing support from the globally-renowned York St John University
- We are in partnership with an outstanding network of schools, with the added opportunity of being able to teach in sixth forms
- To help support your year of teacher training, you may be eligible for funding
- We are consistently rated ‘good’ and ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted